Twelve Days, One Thousand Miles

Sunday 3 July 2011

Day 6

Day 6
Preston to Carlisle via 1400 ft of Shap
Miles covered - 90
Total miles covered - 550
Highs - getting the the top of Shap the highest point and also the midway point of our trip
Lows - the prospect of shap in front of us, being halfway up shap, being three quarters of the way up shap, being almost at the top and then turning a corner and seeing a 2 miles to summit of shap sign.

I think its fair to say shap dominated the day, a gruelling 9 mile slog up poor roads with heavy traffic. To be fair it wasn't anywhere near as bad as we had first suspected. It was hardly joyous and the moment when a rambler was walking up the path in the field next to me, at a similar enough pace in which to wish me a good afternoon- and hold the conversation long enough for me to find out he holidays in kendal twice a year and the names of his dog and longlost sister whom he hasn't seen since she moved to australia.
Anyway we were rewarded with a 6 mile downhill and the rest of the day was good. We got to Carlisle in good time and to our b and b. My room was uncleaned from the last resident and I got an ensuite double by way of apology. Went for dominoes pizza and I only ate about half of it. Start of troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment